Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Skateboard Superhero Cake

Anybody can buy a cake, but making a cake for someone is special.

I really enjoy baking and the creativity of making something like this peaked my interest. Last year I made a monster truck cake, simply a two layer cake with butter cream frosting, crumbled cookie roads and mini monster trucks.

This year, I asked my 4 year old nephew what he wanted for his birthday cake. It had to be:
  • A Skateboard Ramp Cake with Superheros on Skateboards
  • Butter and Chocolate Cakes with Chocolate Fudge Pudding, Bananas and Cream
  • Green and White Frosting
His Birthday was on Thanksgiving, his party was the next day. Between both events, I spent over 15 hours in the kitchen. I decided to save time and used Duncan Hines Butter Cake boxes. I prefer the Butter receipe over the Oil.

I started baking 3 cakes, two butter and one chocolate. All in long sheet cake tins. Added a layer of chocolate fudge pudding, layer of bananas.


I made each cake in a longer metal reusable aluminum pan, so each layer was around 1 inch or so. Stacked them up, refrigerated them and went home for the night.







For my Marshmallow Vanilla Butter cream Frosting, I used:

- 6 cups of Powdered Sugar (+/-)*
- 1 1/2 cups of Butter
- 1 tablespoon of Vanilla
- 1/2 a stick of Cream cheese

Melted Marshmallows
- 2 pats of Butter
-1/2 a bag of little Marshmallows

Mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes. Add vanilla, cream cheese and marshmallow and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.

*With this frosting, you may need to add more powdered sugar to reach the consistency you like.

Rice Krispy Treat Skateboard Ramp

To make the ramp, I made a simple Rice Krispy recipe and formed the ramp within a deep plastic Gladware storage container. I used wax paper to push the cereal into the shape I needed and popped it in the freezer to form.



Added cookies around the base of cake, using those Oreo Cookie Straws.

I wanted to add the toys to see how it would look. I removed them before transporting.




With the leftover rice krispy treats, I filled out a pan and added chocolate chip cookies dipped in the leftover frosting.










I love this picture. It shows how much he really loved the cake, as expressed by a 4 year old boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment