Saturday, August 20, 2011

Blackberry Lemonade Granita with Mint

Do you love fresh granitas? I do. A little background, Granita (in Italian also granita siciliana) is a semi-frozen dessert made from sugar, water and various flavorings

My inspiration for making this came from a couple sources:
1.) Bekah got a brand new toy! It's a new Cuisinart Icecream, Sorbet and SoftServe Maker!
2.) My dad's garden produced some nice blackberries and mint. All I needed were a couple lemons and sweet inspiration.
3.) My mother's birthday. I wanted to make a little something from scratch so I got my ingrediants together and went at it.


* 2 cups frozen blackberries
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
* 1 cup water
* Lemon essence, from the rind
* Lemon juice from 2 Lemons
* Finely chopped mint.

Stir sugar and 1 cup water in small saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil 1 minute. Transfer syrup to large bowl. Chill until syrup is cold, about 3 hours.

Working in batches, puree blackberries with juices and cold syrup in blender until smooth. Strain into another large bowl; discard seeds. Add finely chopped mint and stir in lemon juice.

Process berry mixture in ice cream maker according the maker's instructions. Transfer sorbet to container; cover and freeze until firm, about 6 hours. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Keep frozen)

No comments:

Post a Comment