Saturday, August 20, 2011

Vegetarian Stuffed Bell Peppers with Gallo Pinto

Mmm, Stuffed Bell Peppers have always been an item made in my home since I was a little girl. I didn't care much for the pepper itself and could pick out the insides. Now I just love them.

I was inspired to make a vegetarian Nicaraguan inspired stuffed pepper. My creativity was flowing and I had a plan. It all started with the Gallo Pinto (recipe made earlier than nigbt) and Soyrizo (Soy Chorizo.

* 1 package of Soyrizo
* 3-4 cups of Gallo Pinto (Rice and Beans mixture)
* 6-8 Large Bell Peppers, Red, Green, Yellow - whatever you prefer
* Package of Shredded Cheese, I used the Mexican blend fine shredded.


First you remove the Soyrizo from the casing and fry in a pan on Medium heat separately from all other ingredients. Once cooked add the Gallo Pinto to the Soyrizo and mix together while frying. Add in some of the cheese to bind it all together.

Cut the tops off the Bell Peppers and stand them up in a Pyrex or Aluminum Baking Dish. Try to wedge them next to each other so they don't fall during the cooking process.

Stuff the peppers almost 3/4 full and top with the shredded cheese. Bake in an oven at 350 for around 30-40 minutes or until bell peppers are tender. This recipe is super easy and pretty healthy. The bells are so fulling, you will forget there isn't any real meat in it.

:) Bekah

No comments:

Post a Comment