Sunday, December 25, 2011

Fresh Pea Soup

I've made Pea Soup so many different ways but this was unique because these were fresh peas. I bought a package of fresh organic peas from the market for use in another dish but I forgot. I like to use up what I have so I made this on the fly.

It was REALLY different than cooking regular dried peas. Took twice as long. Try to have some patience, it's worth it.

*Also, I use a lot of vegetable stock in my soups and that's because I am allergic to MSG. If I don't have time to make my own or buy organic broths, I use vegetable bouillon in water. I also thin out the flavor, since it's about the ingrediants in it and not the broth.

1 medium onion diced
1/2 stick of butter, diced
3 cups of fresh peas
5 cups of water
1 cup of vegetable bouillon*, but chicken or meat stock is good too.
Salt, Pepper and Cayenne as needed for flavor

Sautee onion in butter until tender. Add peas then water, broth, spices and let simmer - like for an hour. You can tell when the peas are tender and mashable. I like to break them up while they are cooking to thicken up my soup. Since I removed a lot of water, I ended adding it back in the end. Patience is a lesson with this soup.

It was totally worth it and wish I had made more. Serves about 6 Bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment